Snort mailing list archives

Snort Hardware Selection and Fiber/Copper Taps

From: "Chan, Wilson" <wchan () honolulu gov>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 09:46:22 -1000

Im looking at spec'ing out some new servers for my Linux (CentOS) Snort
boxes. If funding was not a issue what would you buy?

Q: Snort is not multi-threaded so does it make sense to buy a rack mount
server with multiple cpus?

Q: How much ram should be allocated per server for 32bit snort on linux?
If I go over 4Gb I would have to use a PAE kernel. How much ram can
Snort use?

Q: Ntap fiber to copper aggregators for gigabit links or Ntap fiber to
copper traditional taps (Outputs Tx and Rx per copper port)?

Q: If I decide to use the traditional taps do you run two processes of
snort for each TX and RX or do you bridge the two interfaces and run
just one snort process? What is best to do in this scenario? Thanks!

Wilson