Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort + barnyard2 + BASE

From: "Shenk, Jerry A" <jshenk () decommunications com>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 10:35:30 -0400

I'm having the exact same problem but I have unified2 set as the output
processor.

My waldo file seems to be working but it's not updating:
Using waldo file '/etc/snort/barnyard.waldo':
    spool directory = /var/log/snort
    spool filebase  = snort.log
    time_stamp      = 1256243504
    record_idx      = 13

Barnyard2 is seeing that there are files to process:
Opened spool file '/var/log/snort/snort.log.1256379065'
Waiting for new data
Closing spool file '/var/log/snort/snort.log.1256379065'. Read 40
records
Opened spool file '/var/log/snort/snort.log.1256379948'
Waiting for new data
Closing spool file '/var/log/snort/snort.log.1256379948'. Read 13
records
Opened spool file '/var/log/snort/snort.log.1256380242'
Waiting for new data

But, it never goes past waiting even if the file does get updated.
Restarting barnyard2 will cause new records to be read in from the
snort.log file.  Barnyard does update the spool file that's being
watched when snort is restarted.

I tried adding syslog to barnyard just to separate mysql issues from
barnyard but barnyard2 doesn't send syslog updates either...and I
believe my syslog output is set correctly because I get "database: using
the "alert" facility" when I start barnyard2.

Here is my syslog output entry:
output alert_syslog: