Snort mailing list archives

Re: Updated IP Blacklisting patch (version 2)

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 15:57:09 -0400

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 6:06 PM, Eoin
Miller<eoin.miller () trojanedbinaries com> wrote:
Martin Roesch wrote:
Hey everyone,

Is anyone else using this patch is able to get the information about
which blacklist is being triggered when you are using barnyard? Since
the generator is just identified by number 136 and the unified output
that goes through barnyard just references the gen-msg.map, it isn't
really possible to determine which blacklist triggered the alert. If you
use fast/full alerting this patch does indeed work great!

Hi Eoin,

I'd have to think about how to do that, probably the best route is to
add a mapping like we do with the rule messages.  Of course, then we'd
need to assign static numbers to the 3rd party lists or something.
Definitely bears thinking about.

Marty