Snort mailing list archives

Re: I need a rule and...

From: Nigel Houghton <nhoughton () sourcefire com>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 12:03:12 -0400

On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 9:30 AM, Ray Caparros<arcy24 () gmail com> wrote:
Sign up @ snort.org, the current rule sets are not free but you can
download the rules for registered users.

-Ray

On 8/15/09, Sam Hugh <samhugh () ymail com> wrote:
When I finish installĀ  snort,I find it's need the rules/then I loging to
www.snort.org to download but the url result says:403 Forbidden

Please make sure you're logged into Snort.org.

If you are logged into Snort.org, you may need a VRT subscription to access
this file.if I'm not subscripetion where can I getĀ  the rules?

To avoid confusion over the word "current" here, there are two sets of
rules. The SUBSCRIBER rule set is not free (but it is cheap) and you
need a subscription to get them. The REGISTERED rule set is FREE, but
you need to have a login to snort.org to download them. The difference
between the two sets is very simple, the FREE ones are the SUBSCRIBER
sets once they reach 30 days old.

Here's the link to the REGISTERED FREE set of rules:

For Snort CURRENT:
http://dl.snort.org/reg-rules/snortrules-snapshot-CURRENT.tar.gz

For Snort 2.8: http://dl.snort.org/reg-rules/snortrules-snapshot-2.8.tar.gz

You must be logged in to snort.org to use these links. If you want to
use oinkmaster (good) or Pulled Pork (better) then the links will
include your oinkcode and you'll have to follow the instructions for
setting that up.

--
Nigel Houghton
Head Mentalist