Snort mailing list archives

Re: Alert on web traffic instead of IP Address?

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 14:49:13 -0500

On Tue, 2009-08-11 at 10:32 -0400, Isherwood, Jeffrey - AES wrote:
However I would like to create a few rules that look for traffic
headed to a website that might be using Dynamic DNS (or fast flux) and
so I do not know the IP Address of the dst host.

For the IP Address alerts I use the following rule:
[...]
Where $HOME_NET is my internal network and $MALICIOUS_IP is the IP
Address of a site that we have deemed to be dangerous.  I don’t think
that I can put a website name in the variables… and with Dynamic DNS
and FastFlux changing the IPs I can’t figure out how to alert on
malicious sites being hidden behind the changing IP addresses.

If you are trying to catch regular, unencrypted web traffic, match on a
specific Host Header in the GET|POST|HEAD|whatever request.

content:"|0d 0a|Host|3a 32|www.evilsite.com|0d 0a|";

Regards,
Frank