Snort mailing list archives

Re: inline mode works(seems) without compiling with --enable-inline option

From: Joel Ebrahimi <joel.ebrahimi () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 15:06:02 -0700

Cool. Thanks for the info.
Im curious now so I will take a look and make an IPS build.

// Joel

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 1:42 PM, Russ Combs <rcombs () sourcefire com> wrote:

Comments below ...

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 4:08 PM, Joel Ebrahimi <joel.ebrahimi () gmail com>wrote:

I have always been curious how this works. Working for Bivio Networks I
know that there is a Snort IPS that Sourcefire uses on our platform but I
was never sure how they integrated it. Since our performance relies on pcap
and since our pcap is modified to drop packets I had assumed it was all
handled through pcap.
So does --enable-inline need to be used at all to initialize any of the
drop structures or mechanisms?

That depends on what you are trying to do:

* use --enable-inline for ipq.
* use --enable-inline --enable-ipfw for ipfw.
* otherwise, if you have a modified libpcap, the drop is handled there.
* otherwise, the drop doesn't take place.

Would the keyword 'drop' still be able to be used from the rules just like
the -Q option is allowed ?

Using -Q and a drop action in a rule is perfectly fine without the use of
--enable-inline with a modified
libpcap.

I don't actually see any of the Bivio specific API calls to drop packets.
I assuming this is not released in the general Snort release. Is this code
available or is it licensed differently then the available public Snort?

There are no calls to non-standard libpcap API functions in Snort.
Everything to do this is there in the snort code base and the license is the
same.  There are a few global variables that need to be shared between the
pcap library and Snort.  Have a look at inline.c for details.

Thanks,

// Joel