Snort mailing list archives

Ubuntu 8 /etc/rc.local issue

From: Ams <ams.sec () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 15:10:56 -0500

Hi Guys,

I am trying to run snort at boot time automatically. Using Ubuntu 8-  Snort,
barnyard compiled from source, 3 interfaces in total- 2 interfaces for NIDS
and 1 for management. I edited the /etc/rc.local file and added the
following lines:

*Contents of /etc/rc.local*
ifconfig eth0 up promisc
/usr/local/bin/snort -c /etc/snort.conf -i eth0
sudo /usr/local/bin/barnyard2 -c /etc/snort/barn2.conf -G
/etc/snort/gen-msg.map -S /etc/snort/sid-msg.map -d /var/log/snort -f
snort.log -w /var/log/snort/barnyard.waldo

ifconfig eth1 up promisc
/usr/local/bin/snort -c /etc/snort.conf -i eth1
sudo /usr/local/bin/barnyard2 -c /etc/snort/barnyard2.conf -G
/etc/snort/gen-msg.map -S /etc/snort/sid-msg.map -d /var/log/snort -f
snort.log -w /var/log/snort/barnyard.waldo

When I do ps -aux|grep snort on startup, all I see running is
/usr/local/bin/snort -c /etc/snort.conf -i eth0. Why didn't the remaining
commands execute? Will appreciate your input. Thanks a bunch.

Ams