Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort on Windows with one ethernet card

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 19:40:49 -0500

On Wed, 2009-07-22 at 13:45 -0500, Youngquist, Jason R. wrote:
Ideally, I understand Snort wants two network interface cards – one
for management, and one for capturing packets.  I have a number of
Windows servers at remote locations, but they only have 1 interface
card.  Can Sort for Windows be installed on a Windows server (the
server would still need an IP so it can function as a file server, AD,
etc.) and work with just one ethernet card or would I need two?

Snort doesn't want anything. You can run Snort on a system without
network cards, just reading data from a pcap file :)

But yes, normally you configure Snort to analyze traffic on a network
interface. You can install Snort on all of your Windows servers and have
the Snort instances monitor that single card in the Windows server.
Those network cards obviously have an IP address. What Snort will see is
all traffic coming from or going to that server it's sitting on.

Regards,
Frank

--
against your ports.