Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort-users Digest, Vol 37, Issue 18

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 11:18:23 -0400

On Jun 15, 2009, at 10:56 AM, Pedro Marinho wrote:

Hello gentlemen,

A very smart person did tell me that the problem was with I/O operations. Like the disk is the big villain here.. To confirm this he told me to log in /dev/null instead of unified log and see if the improvemet of the performance was big.. as you can see in the snort statistics below it was big..

so my question is..

Is not a good thing to run the snort database at the same box you are running snort when you are using it to watch huge traffic?? i mean at a very high speed like 199954.80 kbits/sec
should i log the alerts in another computer?

Well, that speed isn't terribly fast, however, it is advisable to run Snort and your DB on a separate box. However, it looks to me, if you are using unified output format, logging to db using something like barnyard, your problem is probably not Disk I/O. It might be lack of RAM, or a slow machine, small packet sizes.. etc..

Looks there may be something else at play here, try analyzing your performance monitoring stats (look in your snort.conf for performance monitoring logging).

Are you running a ton of rules or something?