Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort VRT rules

From: Zakai Kinan <titanyen2000 () yahoo com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 17:39:55 -0700 (PDT)

Can you send the script to the list?

Thanks,

ZK

From: Russell Fulton <r.fulton () auckland ac nz>
Subject: [Snort-users] Snort VRT rules
To: "The EDUCAUSE Security Constituent Group Listserv" <SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU>
Cc: snort-users () lists sourceforge net, oinkmaster-users () lists sourceforge net
Date: Sunday, June 14, 2009, 4:17 PM
Just an FYI and apologies for the
cross posting

As many of you are no doubt already well aware the snort
rules snap
shot file is now approaching 100MB and is very slow to down
load.

What you may not know is that now that the new snort web
site is up
the snapshot file is no longer being rebuilt every day so
you can now
rely on the http header stuff to decide whether or not to
download the
file.  They also have md5 files which you can check if
you are really
don't trust the http headers.

I am now using -N on wget and have drastically reduced the
headaches
in downloading the VRT rules.

I have my own script that I use for downloading rule files
and this
now works happily with the new set up.

I am happy to share this script if anyone is
interested.  It downloads
and optionally unpacks tarballs.  I use it since I
have several
sensors with different oinkmaster.confs and with the large
files I
unpack them as well - this speeds up the oinkmaster
processing
considerably.

I am also hacking oinkmaster by adding a -k
<keep-dir> which tells
oinkmaster to keep the tarballs in the indicated directory
and only
download them if it really needs to.  As expected this
change is non
trivial as it changes one of the fundamental assumptions
about how
files are downloaded.  That said the code is well
structured and
documented so it is no where near as bad as it could be
(Thanks
Andreas :)

I'm also going to try and get the messages back from the
web sessions
so that you know when you are being excluded by the
download limit
(rather than just getting a 403.

Russell

unlimited
royalty-free distribution of the report engine for
externally facing
server and web deployment.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/businessobjects