Snort mailing list archives

Re: Combine NIDS with HIDS

From: Stephen Mullins <steve.mullins.work () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 13:32:15 -0400

You can use Snort in conjunction with a HIDS.  In terms of aggregating
the data, I think you would use an SIEM (Security Information and
Event Manager), like ArcSight, and have feeds from both Snort and your
HIDS into it.

I don't think using a NIDS to cross-check or verify HIDS alerts is
practical.  I think the way to check a HIDS alarm is to remote into
the system and check the file system etc.

You could use the HIDS to cross-check NIDS alerts though, and that
would make sense to me.

Steve Mullins