Snort mailing list archives

Re: FYI: Empty IP used either as source IP or as destination IP in a rule. IP list: [].

From: Matt Jonkman <jonkman () jonkmans com>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 15:07:03 -0400

Well put Jason. In a lower traffic environment snort does IP matching
well enough.

And even in a lot of medium speed installs using tools like snortsam
it's useful to match on bad IP lists. We know about tens of thousands of
bad IPs a highly secure site might want to block, but updating that into
an entire perimeter of firewalls every day isn't that feasible.

If we can just have snort match on the really bad ones and use snortsam
to add the rule live when we see a bad IP we save a lot of overhead in
firewall administration. Then we only have rules in for the ones we're
really seeing, and snortsam handles the admin overhead.

Works for me :)

Matt

Jason Brvenik wrote:
I say use the tools you have to do the job you need when it needs to
be done, just don't complain that the screws don't hold as well when
you hammer them in.