Snort mailing list archives

Re: Questions: Filtering ESP & Duplicate traffic

From: Joel Esler <eslerj () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 16:05:14 -0400

Snort can handle it (as far as HOME_NET tuning is going), and will handle it
just fine.  Usually I've seen people put a sensor in the DMZ, and a sensor
inside the firewall.  The HOME_NET for the DMZ sensor set to the DMZ IP
range, and the HOME_NET inside the firewall set to all the 1918 addresses.
As far as filtering out things like ESP and VPN traffic, I see no reason to
inspect it if it's encrypted.  (That's what encryption is for right? To make
stuff unreadable?)

I welcome a discussion on that issue.