Snort mailing list archives

Re: Discrepency between Base and linked packet

From: "Bruno G. San Alejo" <bgonzalez () polar es>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 14:25:01 +0100

    OK, my fault then, I just run Snort and Base. Snort is configured
with MySql support and Base just goes into the DB. Sorry, I just
installed them a couple of months ago and followed the "Managing
Security with Snort and IDS tools" book and the typical "how-to" web
pages. I guess I need to do more homework. :)

    Then, given that Snort logs right the packets and that a external
tool gets the log file and puts it into the DB (I had and have no idea
about this, I won't BS you), the DB schema is not quite right anyway. It
has two fields (id and seq#) for ALL ICMP types. Particularly for ICMP
redirects, the gateway's IP is not represented anywhere in the DB schema.

    So, if I'm not wrong the root issue of this thread gets solved: use
an external tool to pass the Snort logs into the DB (as a matter of fact
the first thing I'll start doing as soon as I send this email). But for
everything to be peachy there is still the little issue of some
discrepancies between some ICMP types and what data is in the DB schema
representing them. I just don't see how even with an external tool,
some data of  ICMP packets can be logged into the DB if the schema just
doesn't have those fields.

    Thanks.

Joel Esler wrote:
We'll need to know more about the setup.  BASE simply reads what is in
the DB.  If it's a parsing issue with BASE, reading out of the DB,
then Kevin can speak to that, however, if the problem lies in the data
that is actually in the DB, then I have to ask how it is getting in
there.

Generally Accepted Best Practice is to have Snort log in "unified"
mode, and have an external tool like barnyard or SnortUnified.pm read
the Unified files and put them into the DB.

How is your setup configured?  (Writing from Snort directly to the DB
is never recommended.)

Joel

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 8:44 AM, Bruno G. San Alejo