Snort mailing list archives

Re: Virut Botnet rule?

From: Matt Jonkman <jonkman () jonkmans com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 01:35:24 -0500

Well, unfortunately Virut is a really vague name. We have about 10k
samples in the sandnet that are called some form of Virut. A good chunk
of those are called allaple by other AV's, which is a veru different beast.

Some we have are IRC CnC's, some are http, some are binary channels.

Do you have one that's doing a particular thing?

Most of the samples we have there is some rule to detect. The IRC ones
are well covered, and I think probably half or so of what's called Virut
are irc based. If you run the IRC on non standard ports sigs at ET you
should catch them all.

2000345
2000347
2000348

etc.

Matt

Jefferson, Shawn wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone know if there is a rule that would detect the Virut botnet
communications, either in the snort rules or ET rules?  Unfortunately, I
had some machines pick this up, spread via the MS08-067 vulnerability.
I did write a rule to detect communication outbound to what I think is
C&C servers (any communication from $HOME_NET to $EXTERNAL_NET:11830).
Just wondering if there may have already been some rules I could have used.

Also, I wanted to thank the list for their help!  Snort & BASE happened
to be our only method of finding these infections with our current toolset…

Thanks,
Shawn

just about anything Open Source.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/Xq1LFB