Snort mailing list archives

how can you ignore all ports used in a single FTP session?

From: Jason Haar <Jason.Haar () trimble co nz>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 09:51:43 +1300

Hi there

[I've asked this before with no response
(C54CF084.8AA10000.reformail () crom trimble co nz), better luck this time ;-)]

I'm wanting to whitelist (pass) FTP sessions initiated by a particular
internal host, but cannot figure out a combination of rules that
achieves it. Making a "pass tcp ip.address any -> any 21" is easy - but
it doesn't take into account the DATA session - which may or may not be
PASSIVE.

I don't think flowbits will help, as setting that on the above rule
wouldn't suddenly make snort assume other TCP sessions are related, and
the ftp preprocessor doesn't seem to contain anything of use there either.

Any ideas? Snort-2.8.3.1

Thanks

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417