Snort mailing list archives

Re: sfPortscan - Unfiltered PortScan Detected, Missing Most Open Port Alerts

From: Todd Wease <twease () sourcefire com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 16:21:52 -0500

Hi staff

The sfportscan preprocessor currently only keeps track of 7 open ports.
I'm guessing the hard coded limit boiled down to what was believed to be
a reasonable max for the services a machine might be offering or maybe
it was due to memory considerations (although I don't think tracking
something like 50 ports would be that hard on memory - will tack on an
extra 5MB per 64K sessions tracked by sfportscan.  Note the default
sfportscan memcap of 10MB limits the number of sessions to around 13K).
I'll see if we can't up the limit or make the limit configurable.

Thanks,
Todd

staff wrote:
Hello all,

I am working on the sfPortScan preprocessor and I came across a few things
I can not seem to resolve, hopefully you guys can help. I have done all
the reading I can find on the issue, I have a book on snort however it is
not with me atm..

The first thing I noticed is that the PortScan detection is (by far) most
accurate when there in no firewall in the path (TCP Portscan). That said,
when I scan a system that has 16 open ports, I see the initial TCP
Portscan alert (shown below).

-------
Time: 01/31-13:44:27.280811
event_id: 174
a.b.c.d -> a.b.c.t (portscan) TCP Portscan
Priority Count: 10
Connection Count: 18
IP Count: 1
Scanner IP Range: a.b.c.d:a.b.c.d
Port/Proto Count: 18
Port/Proto Range: 47:457
--------

While the Port Range is pretty accurate (really is 1-500), I only get 7
"Open Port" alerts. Strange thing is the system a.b.c.d that did the
scanning got 16 SYN/ACKs back...

So where are my 8 other Open Port alerts?

Regarding the config, it is just straight snort (no db) below the
preprocessor line.. The system has plenty of hardware and the target is in
a VM, snort is running on the Host, the source is a different box.

---
preprocessor sfportscan: proto { all } scan_type { all } memcap { 10000000
} sense_level { medium } logfile { sfPortscan.log }
---