Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort on Mac OS X 10.2.8: Which version of Snort can I use?

From: Todd Wease <twease () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 14:44:47 -0500

Hi Ian,

Ok, we may be getting somewhere - sounds like an autotools issue at this
point. Can you try rebuilding everything:

$ rm -fr snort-2.8.3.1
$ tar xf snort-2.8.3.1.tar.gz
$ cp mac1028.diff snort-2.8.3.1
$ cd snort-2.8.3.1
$ patch -p0 < mac1028.diff
$ glibtoolize --automake --copy
$ aclocal -I m4
$ autoheader
$ automake --add-missing --copy
$ autoconf
$ ./configure <your-configure-options>
$ make

Please copy all output (at least from glibtoolize on) and attach in
response (preferably in a file).
Also please attach the "configure", "config.log", "libtool" and
"aclocal.m4" files that are created (configure and aclocal.m4 will be
regenerated). You could maybe tar output and files up in a directory so
post isn't dreadful to read (or you could send these to me directly).

Also try the same using "glibtoolize --automake --copy --force" starting
from scratch and attach output and "configure", "config.log" and
"libtool" files that are created. (The --force will cause regeneration
of config.guess, config.sub and ltmain.sh - the version of ltmain.sh
provided with the distribution might be the issue.)

If neither of the above compile, try exporting a SED variable as the
first command in the above and retry:
$ which sed
If sed isn't found, make sure sed is in your PATH. (I don't think this
is possible if configure succeeded, but I'm not totally sure.)
$ export SED=`which sed`
Libtool uses sed and alot of the commands using it are of the form
"${SED} -e ..." If SED isn't set, libtool will try to run '-e' as a
command which won't be found. It looks like SED isn't being set for some
reason.

Also, please post the output of the following:
$ glibtoolize --version
$ automake --version
$ autoconf --version

If worse comes to worse, you might need to update these.

Thanks,
Todd

Ian Masters wrote:
Todd

Sorry about that.  Forgot some includes that are necessary to compile
with those changes.  Can you give it a try again with attached patch?

Sure, happy to.

And thanks for taking the time to test this out.  (Note, I don't think
you'll be able to compile with --enable-targetbased because one of
bison/flex might end up compiling their C files using uint* instead of
u_int* - all other configure options should hopefully be okay.)

At automake --add-missing --copy I got the following:
[~/snort-2.8.3.1] root# automake --add-missing --copy
automake: src/target-based/Makefile.am: lex source seen but
`AM_PROG_LEX' not in `configure.in'

After that no errors until 'make', at which the following appeared:

../../../libtool: s,^.*/,,g: No such file or directory
../../../libtool: -e: command not found
*** Warning: inferring the mode of operation is deprecated.
*** Future versions of Libtool will require --mode=MODE be specified.
../../../libtool: -e: command not found
../../../libtool: -e: command not found
../../../libtool: -e: command not found
../../../libtool: -e: command not found
../../../libtool: -e: command not found
../../../libtool: -e: command not found
../../../libtool: -e: command not found
../../../libtool: -e: command not found
../../../libtool: -e: command not found
../../../libtool: -e: command not found
../../../libtool: -e: command not found
../../../libtool: -e: command not found
../../../libtool: -e: command not found
../../../libtool: -e: command not found
../../../libtool: -e: command not found
../../../libtool: -e: command not found
../../../libtool: -e: command not found
../../../libtool: -e: command not found
../../../libtool: -e: command not found
../../../libtool: -e: command not found
../../../libtool: -e: command not found
../../../libtool: -e: command not found
../../../libtool: -e: command not found
../../../libtool: -e: command not found
../../../libtool: -e: command not found
../../../libtool: -e: command not found
../../../libtool: -e: command not found
../../../libtool: -e: command not found
: compile: cannot determine name of library object from `'
make[6]: *** [bmh.lo] Error 1
make[5]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[4]: *** [all] Error 2
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1