Snort mailing list archives

Re: Rule help

From: Jack Pepper <pepperjack () afferentsecurity com>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 14:21:57 -0600

Quoting "Jefferson, Shawn" <Shawn.Jefferson () bcferries com>:

My original rule worked out great, but I tried to create another
rule that alerts me on anything that went from the $HOME_NET to
$EXTERNAL_NET port 11830, and I obviously did something wrong, since
I got about 3 million alerts in 5 minutes... pretty much all traffic
going to the IDS sensor (which takes forever to delete via BASE!)

Here's what tried:

alert ip $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET 11830 (msg:"port 11830
traffic outbound"; sid:1000002; rev:1;)

Change the "ip" to tcp.  IP protocol ignores the src and dest port
numbers.  So yes, this rule is catching *any* outbound traffic.

jp

--

Framework?  I don't need no stinking framework!