Snort mailing list archives

Re: dynamic (so) rules

From: chris ryan <chris.ryan () gmx de>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 11:16:49 +0200

Nerijus Krukauskas wrote:
On 01/07/2008, chris ryan <chris.ryan () gmx de> wrote:
Just for curiosity, can anybody explain that to me?

Take a look at the article by Richard Bejtlich:
Thanks for that link. It answers my second qestion:
"Don't be confused by the line "0 Dynamic rules." Dynamic in this case
refers to Dynamic/Activate rules, which are being phased out in favor
of a combination of tagging and flowbits."

And then suit yourself with some drinks as so_rules were already
discussed in [snort-users]. Cheers! ;)
Hmmm....beer. But - not yet. I still am curios about the rule count
before and after the compilation. I hope i'm not annoying.

The rules in the tarball are about 75, after compiling and stub'ing 'em,
there are only 22 left. I just wanted to know on what exactly that
resulting number depends (platform-, systemspecific?). The precompiled
librariers are crashing, so switching to them and all the 75 rules is no
option.

Thanks in advance, Chris.