Snort mailing list archives

Re: Backend DB's

From: "Randal T. Rioux" <randy () procyonlabs com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 17:30:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, July 7, 2008 3:12 pm, Craig Van Tassle wrote:

Well database performance it's self is not a major issue. We are using
FLoP right now because the previous Security Engineer here convinced my
boss that barnyard was causing issues with us losing the Alerts, the
problem turned out to be related to tagged packets, but right now my
boss is unwilling to really let us do much in the way of switching
systems. We have multiple databases, for a varity of clients. The
main issue we are dealing with is some limitations and slowness that we
are seeing with reguards to BASE. The inital page takes a while to load
up, our db is about 40gb with over 11M rows. It takes BASE about 2-3
minutes to load up (on a good day). I have not been able to get sguile
installed and see how well that will work. We have tuned our rule sets
down very tight. We are only getting about 100 Alerts a day for our
largest clients.

For the database, if you're stuck with MySQL at least use InnoDB. I like
PostgreSQL, but honestly, I don't think which database matters. Just use
what you like best yourself. They each have pros and cons.

As for the BASE problem, the initial slowness is due to the stats
gathering for the front page charts. I'm considering making that a
user-configurable feature. For now though, you can turn it off by messing
with the PHP code.

Randy