Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort 2.8.2.1 stops logging after 1 minute...

From: "Tim Maletic" <tmaletic () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 13:37:21 -0400

Was glad to see this thread pop up.  I'm seeing similar behavior when I
attempt to move from 2.8.0 to 2.8.2.

Running on RHEL4, 2.8.0 is working fine.  I shutdown, copy the 2.8.2 snort
binary and libraries into place, restart, and then I get a handful of alerts
before the load climbs to 2.5 in a minute or two.  (Load under 2.8.0 is
typically under 1.)  Once it's in that state, no alerts fire (even while
generating test alert traffic), and the snort processes don't respond to
SIGUSR1 like normal.

So, same config, same rulesets, but 2.8.0 runs fine and 2.8.2 tanks.  (I
also tried disabling my local rules under 2.8.2, and that didn't help.)
-tm