Snort mailing list archives

Re: How does a reject rule work?

From: Todd Wease <twease () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 11:21:58 -0400

His rule was an ICMP rule.  He was sending ICMP packets to trigger the
rule.  The rule was also a reject rule.  ICMP ping packets will not ever
get an ICMP Destination port unreachable and the inline code (correctly)
only sends ICMP Destination port unreachable for UDP and TCP packets
(actually for TCP packets it sends a reset).  The ICMP packet will be
dropped, but sending a reset or ICMP Destination port unreachable for an
ICMP packet makes no sense.  I suppose the inline.c code could have
another case for ICMP packets and send a code 0, 1 or 2 Destination
unreachable packet, but it doesn't.

By the way, thanks for the RFC tip.

Phil Wood wrote:
Read RFC 792 to understand the ICMP Destination Unreachable Message.
"bahamin" not talking about ICMP ports its talking about the messages
sent by hosts using ICMP to tell the sender of something that is not
"reachable" on the recipients computer (such as a port).

One place to find the RFC:

ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc792.txt