Snort mailing list archives

Re: preprocessor's rules?

From: "Justin Heath" <justin.heath () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 08:41:27 -0400

This broke the threading on gmail. I guess it must be an imaginary MUA.

Cheers,
Justin

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 7:53 AM, Nigel Houghton <nigel () sourcefire com> wrote:

 (I removed the useless extra "?"s from the subject, if this breaks your
 threading try using a real MUA)

 On 4/15/08 1:36 AM, "Rachmat Hidayat Al-Anshar"
 <rachmat_hidayat_02 () yahoo com> wrote:

 > Hi all.... :)
 >
 > I just want to know more about this following line on
 > snort configurations file..
 > var PREPROC_RULE_PATH ../preproc_rules
 >
 > what is preprocessor rules are??
 > and then, since I know that Snort's preprocessor only
 > use plug-ins for its
 > process, is it something that I missed about this
 > "rules" for preprocessor...
 >
 > Any response supporting this question will greatly
 > appreciated
 > Thanks in advance
 > Rachmat Hidayat Al Anshar

 >From the ChangeLog:

  2007-08-30 Steven Sturges <ssturges () sourcefire com>

 <snip>

       Added support to provide action control (alert, drop, pass, etc)
       over preprocessor and decoder generated events, as well as references
       and classifications via a rule.  These rules do not include IP
       addresses as the individual preprocessor/decoder configuration
       dictates the traffic to which an event applies.  In conjunction
       with this, certain post-processing rule options (tag, logto, etc)
       may be added to those rules, while other options that relate to data
       inspection (content, byte_test, etc) may not.  Enable via
       --enable-decoder-preprocessor-rules option to configure.

 Been there for a while.

 --
 Nigel Houghton
 Resident Hooligan