Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort 2.6.1 false negative - not detecting port scans

From: Hari Sekhon <hpsekhon () googlemail com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 09:32:17 +0100

For this sensor it is sensing on the same nic as the mgmt address so I
am scanning that address.

This sensor is really a test sensor against which I've been trying
various things out (which is why the sensing interface is the same as
the mgmt interface). I made massive changes to the snort.conf in the
course of tuning it, and I am scanning from the same subnet. Having just
written this I realised that my EXTERNAL_NET was set to !$HOME_NET so
this was probably stopping it from detecting the traffic. Switching this
to any seems to again pick up scans from my workstation now. I forgot
that the preprocessors may also use EXTERNAL_NET, not just the rules...

Thanks

-h

Seth wrote:
Where is the scan being run from?  Same subnet?  Behind a firewall?

You mention you are doing the scan against the sensors. Are you
scanning the sensor MGMT IP address or the network that the sensor is
protecting?

Regards,

Seth