Snort mailing list archives

Re: sensor.sid changes (increasing) with new db

From: chris ryan <chris.ryan () gmx de>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 10:27:07 +0200

JJ Cummings schrieb:
So, the SID field in the sensor table is an auto-increment value... this
is where you would have to modify it... but it is of course this way for
a reason... and there are risks to consider if and / or when you modify
this...

Do you have multiple sensors, if so.. .how will they get a unique sid
etc etc etc....

Well, an auto-increment sid is an easy method to provide unique sids in
case of adding new sensors to an existing db. In my speacial case, i'm
adding the same sensor again and again, without dropping the database.
For just that case, i have trouble keeping my external scripts or
barnyard.conf up to date, so a persistant sid would be fine.
As we only have one sensor assigned to that database, that should not
cause any side effects. I'll have a look at this, thanks for your reply.

cheers,
Chris.