Snort mailing list archives

Re: issue with 2.8.2

From: Joel Esler <joel.esler () mac com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 21:02:01 -0400

Did you move pass rules to the front of evaluation, either through a
config statement, or through -o at the command line?

Joel

On Jun 3, 2008, at 8:46 PM, Jason Haar wrote:

Hi there

I've just upgraded from 2.8.0.1 to 2.8.2 and an existing rule started
triggering that isn't meant to.

We have some DMZes which aren't meant to make unexpected outbound
connections, so we use "pass" rules to ignore/pass traffic that is
expected, and then trigger on everything else. Works well - until
today.

pass tcp $DMZES_NETS any -> any 53 (msg:"DMZ host doing DNS zone
transfer or large DNS lookup"; sid:3000023;rev:2;)
alert tcp $DMZES_NETS any -> any 26:79 (msg:"DMZ host attempting
outgoing connection to port range 26-79";flags:S;tag: session, 10,
packets;classtype:successful-admin;sid:1000007;rev:1;reference: url,
/secure/cvename.php?name=1000007;)

The DMZES_NETS contain hosts that do full Internet DNS lookups - which
means mostly UDP/DNS with the occasional TCP/DNS query.

What we are seeing today (since upgrading to 2.8.2) is alerts on
TCP-based DNS lookups. The alerts generated ("DMZ host attempting
outgoing connection to port range 26-79") have the SYN set, and are
TCP
port 53 - as above. And yet the previous 30000023 didn't trigger and
pass it...?

This is on CentOS4.6 systems - yes - it's triggering on multiple DMZes
and different snort servers.

Is this a bug, or has some logic changed that makes the above rule
combo
incorrect now? The DNS preprocessor is enabled if that matters...

Thanks!

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417

--
Joel Esler
  joel.esler () mac com