Snort mailing list archives

Re: Port Aggregator Tap alternatives for snort sensor

From: "Stephen Reese" <rsreese () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 11:45:11 -0500

Very cool that will work.

I will post on the Cisco group to determine if the spanning will work
in the manner I'm trying to. Thanks for everyone's help.

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 9:22 AM, Seth <sethsec () gmail com> wrote:
 Also besides the different networks the sensor
 is still going to combine everything but I guess filters could be used
 to help dissect the traffic?

Sounds like an excellent case for the use of BPF filters and multiple
instances of snort.

instance 1 - snort <params> net 10.0.0./8
instance 2 - snort <params> not net 10.0.0./8

This way you will make SURE that anything the first instance doesn't
grab the second one will.

I can use the same sensor but then all of the traffic would also be
 piled into one database and/or alerts.

Regarding the database, you can use the sensor_id (not sure if that is
exactly right) parameter of the output database plug-in to identify
which instance of snort logged each alert in BASE or whatever you are
using.

Regards,

Seth