Snort mailing list archives

Re: Can't connect to db after upgrade

From: Stephen Bernacki <snort () f copacetic net>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 09:34:26 -0500

James Lay wrote:
Hey all!

After doing an upgrade to snort from 2.4 to 2.8, I now get:

Dec 29 13:10:56 gateway snort[16646]: FATAL ERROR: database:
mysql_error: Can't connect to MySQL server on '172.16.1.2' (110)

I can connect manually with:

[13:16:30 me@gateway:~$] mysql -u snort -p -D snort
Enter password:
[snip]

You didn't specify what operating system you're running, but under Linux
(CentOS 4.5), /usr/bin/perror returns:

centos4> perror 110
OS error code 110:  Connection timed out

Your manual connection is likely succeeding because it's using the local
mysql unix domain socket, not the TCP socket that snort is trying to use.

To troubleshoot further, try specifying the protocol and host to connect
to on the mysql command line:

centos4> mysql -h 172.16.1.2  --protocol=tcp  -u snort -p -D snort

You should now experience the same type of error that Snort is seeing.
 From this point I'd recommend checking your local firewall rules,
making sure that the locally running MySQL has a tcp socket listening on
the port you think it does, or configuring Snort to use the local MySQL
unix domain socket instead.

Steve
--
Steve Bernacki, Jr
To date, the Pan-Massachusetts Challenge has raised 204 million