Snort mailing list archives

Re: help with rules - data capturing

From: "Paul Melson" <pmelson () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 16:05:49 -0500

On 12/21/07, Timothy Ding <iolabs () gmail com> wrote:
many thanks for the reply Paul, i still don't get any results from the rule,
could it possibly be the version of snort (ver 2.3.3) that i am using?

Yes, I think it could.  I second Joel's suggestion that you upgrade to
Snort 2.8.  I don't subscribe to the notion that you should
automatically run the latest version of anything, but 2.8(.0.1) is a
big improvement in performance and functionality from 2.7, let alone
2.3.  And 2.3 is old enough that you are bound to run into problems
with rules being published by Sourcefire or others.

If you are unable to upgrade from 2.3 for some reason, I recommend
removing the flow: tag from my suggested rule as a first
troubleshooting step.

PaulM