Snort mailing list archives

Re: [ASK] Silent Interface??

From: Joel Esler <joel.esler () sourcefire com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 21:36:35 -0500

A tap is usually external to the box.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_tap

Traffic flows through the tap and the tap copies the traffic and sends it to the sensor.

--
Joel Esler
joel.esler () sourcefire com

On Dec 21, 2007, at 9:20 PM, Rachmat Hidayat Al-Anshar wrote:

Ok..
Network taps and port mirroring..

I think I understand how the port mirroring works, but, for network tap, how can I do this technically? um..the cable that used for tapping, is it connecting the sensor interface with port on the switch? or what?

In this case, I has already configured the sensor to communicate with active response agent locate in the firewall. So I need to assign an IP address to the interface connected to gateway (also operate as firewall).

I use TSL (Trustix Secure Linux) as a sensor, firewall, and servers. How can I make the sensor interface unassigns (without IP assigned), AFAIK, the other choices if we didn't statically assign the IP address is DHCP. How about this?