Snort mailing list archives

Re: Promiscuous mode, how-to?

From: "Paul Melson" <pmelson () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 09:02:37 -0500

On Nov 30, 2007 10:08 PM, Rachmat Hidayat Al-Anshar
<rachmat_hidayat_02 () yahoo com> wrote:

Hi guys...

There is so many reference telling us that we have to set the NIC on
promiscuous mode
before they can be ready to eavesdrop every single thing that flow on the
network traffic,
but so rarely telling us how to do that, how to configure it, how to make
that thing
happen (^^!), I need more explanation here...

ifconfig eth0 promisc

However, most of the tools you will use (snort, tcpdump, iptraf, etc.)
will handle this for you.

PaulM