Snort mailing list archives

Re: Sensor 'sanity'

From: "Paul Halliday" <paul.halliday () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 07:19:25 -0400

Inline..

On Nov 8, 2007 10:09 PM, Matt Jonkman <jonkman () jonkmans com> wrote:
You mean for faults like the span port was broken by the network guys,
or started seeing only one part of a stream, or lost a chunk of it's
monitored traffic?

Exactly.

For the basics you could just use traffic monitoring, if it drops below
a threshold shoot you an alert.

What else did you have in mind?

I guess what I am looking for is an event generated by snort that will
appear in my console - perfmon looks like it might have the ability. I
would hate to add an extra component to every sensor just to tell me
it is frigged when snort might already have the ability to do so.

Matt

Paul Halliday wrote:
Hi,

I am not sure about how most people deal with this but I would love any insight.

In an overtaxed environment where I just don't have the time to coddle
each sensor, what is a common practice to make sure that the sensors
are actually still sane?
Most of my sensors are sittings on span/mirrored ports on gear that I
don't directly manage.

Is/would it be possible to construct a preprocessor that could
actually fire and tell me that the link isn't 'typical' anymore?

Thanks.

--
Matthew Jonkman
Bleeding Edge Threats