Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Alert Description in BASE

From: chris mr <chris.misztur () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 11:52:19 -0700 (PDT)

Yup. create-sidmap.pl solved the issue.

thanks

----- Original Message ----
From: David J. Bianco <david () vorant com>
To: chris mr <chris.misztur () yahoo com>; snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2007 1:37:25 PM
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Snort Alert Description in BASE

That's barnyard's job, so probably you haven't told it where to find the
sid-msg.map file, either on the command line or in the config file.
And every time you update the file, you need to restart barnyard so it
can reread all those lines.

    David

chris mr wrote:
I downloaded bleeding-edge rulesets and set them up in snort.conf. I also CAT sid-msg.map with
bleeding-sid-msg-map.txt.

However, when I open BASE I still get a generic Snort Alert... How can these be replaced with detail info on the
signature?

[local] [snort] Snort Alert [1:2002872:0] policy-violation 1(0%) 1 1 1 2007-09-13 17:42:39 2007-09-13 17:42:39

Thanks
chris.