Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Snort-sigs] Snort rule to detect Windows PE Executable Downloads

From: Matt Jonkman <jonkman () bleedingthreats net>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 13:32:00 +1000

Humes, David G. wrote:
alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"PE Executable
Download"; content:"MZ"; depth:2; byte_jump:4,60,little,from_beginning;
content:"PE|00 00|"; within:4; flow:established,from_server;
sid:8000143; classtype:bad-unknown; rev:1;)

It works this executable, http://www.cygwin.com/setup.exe, but not using
this,  http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/0.60/x86/putty.exe.  Why?
Could anyone try it on their sensors and let me know if it behaves any
differently.  Or if anyone has any suggestions on how to do this that
does not involve matching the "!This program cannot be run in DOS mode."
string, that would be appreciated.  Sorry Matt, I just don't think you
can depend on that string any more.

I think you're right.

The issue with the above is you're assuming the exe is starting at the
beginning of the packet/stream, which it'll not likely be. Drop the
depth and try it that way. little higher load, but should be more reliable.

If that does the trick then we can put the appropriate versions into the
bleeding ruleset, and adjust the existing to not look for the dos string.

Matt

I will take a look at the PEHunter plugin that Jamie suggests.  But, I
think the rule, or something very similar, should work in all cases.

Thanks.

--Dave

--
Matthew Jonkman