Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Semi-OT] What other applications contribute to Snort being a complete package?

From: "Justin Heath" <justin.heath () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 10:35:02 -0400

Snort is a complete package. However, there are some libraries that
are required to make snort useful such as pcap and pcre. Depending on
how you use Snort and what your objectives are, there are many add-ons
that add value depending on what you are trying to do. Snort is just
an IDS / IPS at the end of the day. If you want an analyst console or
remediation etc. this is when you need to start looking at add-ons.
Here are some popular additions:

flop (unified)
barnyard (unified)
syslog (log shipping / sim integration)
swatch (log watching)
base (analysys)
squil (analysys)
oinkmaster (rules)

This is not a comprehensive list (just off the top of my head), but
this should give you some areas to research. I'm sure others will be
happy to  chime in as to what add-ons they like to use.

Cheers,
Justin