Snort mailing list archives

Re: Problems daemonizing snort when using BPF filters

From: Joel Esler <joel.esler () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 07:48:55 -0400

Can you put the bpf's in a file and call the file with the "-F" command line tag?

Joel

On Mon, Aug 20, 2007 at 12:37:11PM +0200, it looks like Patrik Nordl?n sent me:
Hi,

wondering if anyone else has experienced this...

I'm running snort on a bunch of FreeBSD 6 machines. Due to some system
constraints, I've had to compile a statically linked binary for use on the
sensors (the dynamic libs distributed along with it), however this hasn't
been a problem...however, when trying to run snort v2.7.x on these sensors I
have a problem with getting snort to run in the background.

Whether using -D on the command line or "config daemon" in the config file (I
suppose it's the same thing in the end anyway), snort doesn't go into the
background as it's supposed to if I add BPF filters as command line
arguments. It still works perfectly though, just that it doesn't go into the
background. If I just strip off the BPF filters from the command line
arguments, snort goes into the background as it's supposed to. I'm not
experiencing this problem when running snort v2.6.1.3 or earlier versions.

I know I'm running a very non-standard setup here since I'm using statically
linked binaries, but still, has anyone seen this problem and/or has a
suggestion on how to solve it?

Thanks,
Patrik

-----