Snort mailing list archives

Re: Windows support

From: "Michael Steele" <michaels () winsnort com>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 10:54:00 -0400

Dr. Govindavajhala,

Welcome to the unique world of Snort and Intrusion Detection.

What you are requesting is fairly simple to explain.

1) After installing WinPcap and Snort, use the -W switch to gather all the
information on the existing interfaces. The display will list them in
numerical order. You will need to use the number in your Snort run line in
order for Snort to properly link that interface.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
D:\win-ids\snort\bin>snort -W

   ,,_     -*> Snort! <*-
  o"  )~   Version 2.7.0-ODBC-MySQL-FlexRESP-WIN32 (Build 35)
   ''''    By Martin Roesch & The Snort Team: http://www.snort.org/team.html
           (C) Copyright 1998-2007 Sourcefire Inc., et al.

Interface       Device          Description
1  \Device\NPF_GenericDialupAdapter (Adapter for generic dialup and VPN
capture)
2  \Device\NPF_{1CE13DC9-604B-4499-8A4D-0B05CD65B717} (VMware Accelerated
AMD PCNet Adapter (Microsoft's Packet Scheduler) )

An example would be: snort -v -i2

The above example would run Snort in verbose mode on adapter 2

Kindest regards,
Michael...

WINSNORT.com Management Team Member
--