Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Snort-devel] Evasion Due to Multiple Instances of SPAN Traffic

From: "Benjamin Small" <benjamin.small83 () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 11:45:28 -0400

This is not a problem when using stream5 and snort 2.7.0 - Go team!

Thanks,
Benjamin

On 6/29/07, Steven Sturges <steve.sturges () sourcefire com> wrote:

Hi Benjamin--

Thanks for the report.  We'll have a look into it.

Cheers.
-steve

Benjamin Small wrote:
Hello,

While working with Snort 2.6.1.5 I noticed a situation where snort was
inadvertently being evaded.
I have narrowed the root cause down to the stream4 preprocessor. When
reassembling both to_client
and to_server streams, it appears that duplicating certain packets
causes
snort to miss an attack.
I demonstrate this in an attack where I attempt an /etc/passwd grab.
None of
the attacker's packets
are duplicated, but I send three instances of the first response from
the
server containing a payload
(and only the first packet with payload seems to matter). Oddly enough,
if
you read the pcap as a file
"snort -r evaded.pcap", Snort fires. However, if snort is reading this
traffic from an interface it misses
the attack. To test this I used tcpreplay on a separate host.

This becomes a potential problem in IDS setups where traffic is being
SPAN'd
to a monitoring interface
more than once. Since this can potentially cause every attack against an
application that utilizes TCP
to be missed, I wanted to bring this to the community's attention. This
is
more common in environments
where complex SPAN sessions are used to relay data from multiple sources
an IDS for monitoring.

I am attaching a pcap and the configuration used in my test. Disabling
the
stream4 preprocessor or
setting the "noinspect" option prevents the IDS from missing the attack.
The
pcap contains a series of
12 unique packets. The 8th unique packet is replicated twice, resulting
in
three instances of the initial
response from the webserver after the attempted /etc/passwd grab. I only
replicated this packet since
after trying different variations of duplicating other packets, it
appears
this packet was key for missing
the attack. I have attached a spreadsheet containing data surrounding my
tests. Each column contains
the number of times each packet in the sequence was transmitted.

Regards,
Benjamin Small

http://sourceforge.net/powerbar/db2/