Snort mailing list archives

Re: Archiving events via BASE

From: a0037 <a0037 () jl2 example com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 18:46:32 +0200

On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 03:23:05AM -0700, David Ryan wrote:

There seems to be a problem with the archiving function,
but I don't know if I am using it incorrectly.  I had one
particular alert with 15,000+ events, so I went in to the
view of unique alerts, selected the relevant icon on the
list and selected 'archive (move) selected' from the actions.
After a long time the transaction seemed to finish OK,
but when I went in to look at it again there was still
some large number of these events . . . maybe 5,000+.
I checked the archive database and many of the entries
had been moved.  I repeated the procedure and it came down
to 1,000+ events.  Then I repeated it and it left 1.
No matter how many times I repeat, this 1 event will not move.

So, here's the question - how come when I asked BASE to move
all the records of a particular type it only moved part of them,
and how come it refuses to move the last transaction ?
It makes me a bit wary of the archive funtion if it has this
type of issue.

Hi,

php knows a timeout for each script. BASE increases this timeout
a little bit, but not enough for such a huge number of alerts.
In base_conf.php look for a line like

        $max_script_runtime = 180;

Set this to 6000 or whatever:

        $max_script_runtime = 6000;