Snort mailing list archives

Re: How we can identify and remove old signatures?

From: Joel Esler <joel.esler () sourcefire com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 08:20:15 -0400

Sorry, to further answer your question, you need to analyze what you have on the network you are protecting. Do you have IIS servers? No? Then do you need to run web-iis.rules?
How about coldfusion webservers?
How about imap servers?
pop3 servers?
finger servers?

You get the point. Then you can even delve into the categories and look at stuff like exploit.rules, do you have veritas backup on your network? No? Then do you need the veritas rules? (I don't know if there is veritas rules in exploit.rules off the top of my head, I am just using an example.)

joel esler | security consultant | Sourcefire | pgp  key is public