Snort mailing list archives

Re: Sensor overload - Too much traffic for Snort box?

From: "Ray H." <snort () melray us>
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2007 00:05:35 -0500

I will definitely try the tweaks Benjamin suggested.

As far as monitoring goes, all that I use currently are perfmon stats and
the associated perl script to generate the graphs every hour via cron.

During a one hour graph period that I happened to choose at the time I was
collecting the information to show here, the Mbit per sec graph shows a
minimum of 30 up to 60 Mbit/sec averaging around 40Mbit/sec.

The load average on the snort box never goes crazy after it fully
initializes and reads all the rules, it stays well below 1.0, around 0.15 to
0.4 on average.

Ray H.