Snort mailing list archives

Re: help writing snort rule

From: Matt Jonkman <jonkman () bleedingthreats net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 01:34:10 -0800

We've got a set of SSN sigs already at bleeding edge:

http://www.bleedingthreats.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/sigs/POLICY/POLICY_SSN_in_the_Clear?view=markup

As well as other similar, EIN, irs stuff, all sorts of goodies in the
policy ruleset.

Matt

Bill Lopez wrote:
Trying to write a simple rule to parse for SSN in plain text – what am I
doing wrong??

alert ip any any -> $EXTERNAL_NET any
(pcre:"/\d{3}(\s|-)?\d{2}(\s|-)?\d{4}/"; msg:"SSN Detected in Clear
Text"; sid: 1000004 )

rule returns this error

ERROR: Unterminated rule in file /etc/snort/rules/TEST.rules, line 5

   (Snort rules must be contained on a single line or

    on multiple lines with a '\' continuation character

    at the end of the line,  make sure there are no

    carriage returns before the end of this line)

Fatal Error, Quitting..

Have tried multiple versions of pcre string but always return the same
error..

Bill Lopez

Operating Engineers Trust Funds

(626) 356-3524