Snort mailing list archives

Snort 2.6.1.2 segfaults on 64bit Centos 4.2 system SOLVED- STATIC 32 Bit Compile

From: "Thomas Munn" <symgryph () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 10:53:53 -0500

All:

I had a devil of a time getting snort 2.6.1.2 to be stable on my 64bit
amd system.  So I tried a different approach:

There is a program called "statifier" which will statically compile a
program.  So I thought, why not try compiling snort on a 32 bit
platform, then statically linking it, and then port over to 64bit
system and see what happens.

It works GREAT.  Snort is stable, and seems to work.  There's only one
rub, the changing user context doesn't seem to work, but with
chrootuid, who cares, anyway.  Chrootuid runs snort as root, then
changes the context after things are done.

Kind of a clever hack for getting snort to work on 64bit without all
the agony of gdb traces.....

--
Two Wheels Good, Four Wheels Bad