Snort mailing list archives

Re: [RGSPAM] Re: Is there any documentation showing how to write a snort plugin?

From: John Draper <lists () webcrunchers com>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 13:47:55 -0800

Justin Heath wrote:

Also, you can check the following link for a nearby library

http://worldcatlibraries.org/wcpa/isbn/1931836043

I cannot afford to buy any books right now - I got totally burned by
my most recent client who owes me money - I hate it when that
happens,  but with all this outsourcing binge going on,  I have
pretty scant choices for jobs these days.   Do you know if there are
any web based references showing the overall structure of a snort
plugin...

Is there a Python wrapper for a plugin...  boy - now that would be
most useful....   Do these plugins deploy "callbacks" or are
there special method with exact names I have to "subclass"?

I've looked at some of these plugins,  and they are so completely
different from each other (in the way they were written),  but I see
little to no commonality between them,  other then the spo_
prefix for the plugin file names...

Is it possible to write a Python based plugin "wrapper" that deploys
common "callbacks" into Python?

Oviously,  I'm going to want to deply threads for this....  I think!!!
I just haven't had this experience yet,  and hope to hook up with
someone on this mailing list working on similar types of things
so we can share info.

My project is important to me, because it's going to contribute to
the detection and eradication of botnets.

John