Snort mailing list archives

Re: Alert payloads not matching alert rules

From: Jason Haar <Jason.Haar () trimble co nz>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 09:21:51 +1300

Joel Esler wrote:
Are you dropping any packets?  It seems that with 3 processes of Snort, on the same box, with only 2 Gigs of RAM
trying to analyze that much traffic, you are probably dropping packets in addition to Snort overwriting its own
memory.

Hi Joel

Can you explain what you mean by snort overwriting it's own memory? How
is that possible? I thought standard OS process separation would stop
that? (I am assuming you meant having >1 snort process leads to one
snort process "corrupting" another)

I also routinely run multiple snort instances - this comes as a bit of a
shock...

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417