Snort mailing list archives

Re: Pass rules need SID in 2.6.1

From: "Justin Heath" <justin.heath () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 10:05:59 -0500

It's not just pass rules that require SID.

SID's act as a unique identifier for a rule. This is why they are
required. Plus it's just good practice.

Cheers,
Justin Heath

On 11/17/06, James Lay <jlay () slave-tothe-box net> wrote:
On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 07:07:11 -0500
"Jeff Dell" <jdell () activeworx com> wrote:

You will need to put a sid value in the rule. While you are at it I
would probably put a rev too. Per the FAQ private SID numbers start
with 1000000 but you will want to make sure you don't have any
conflicts.

 pass icmp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (icode:3; itype:3;
sid:1000000; rev:1;)
 pass icmp any any -> any any (icode:13; itype:3; sid:1000001; rev:1;)

Cheers,

Jeff