Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort2.6 BPF issue?

From: John Hally <JHally () epnet com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 14:52:23 -0500

Yes, tapping a trunk.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bamm Visscher [mailto:bamm.visscher () gmail com]
Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2006 2:40 PM
To: John Hally
Cc: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] snort2.6 BPF issue?

Are you useing a SPAN port on a switch with vlan tagging?

Bammkkkk

On 11/16/06, John Hally <JHally () epnet com> wrote:

Hello all,

I'm having an issue attempting to get the log_packets.sh script from squil
capturing traffic with 2.6.  Essentially whats happening is if I use a BPF
filter to capture traffic, but whether I use the log_packets.sh script or
fire off snort manually using the syntax below I see no traffic at all
either logging to file or printing to screen:

/usr/local/snort2.6/bin/snort -v -i eth1 net 10.0.0.0/8

While:

/usr/local/snort2.6/bin/snort -v -I eth1

Rifles through tons of traffic.

Is BPF filters broken?

--
sguil - The Analyst Console for NSM