Snort mailing list archives

Re: monitoring email alert

From: Daniel Cid <danielcid () yahoo com br>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 18:51:29 -0300 (ART)

Hi Joel and Oliver,

Other tool that can generate e-mails based on the
snort
alerts is ossec. I sent an e-mail some time ago to the
list about this subject, so I will just paste it
bellow:

"
In addition to using swatch, you can try ossec to
generate e-mails/active responses based on your snort
logs. It is much more powerful then swatch (or
guardian) because it allows you to alert based on:

-Single IDS events.
-Mutliple IDS events for same source ip in a specific
timeframe.
-Multiple IDS events for same snort ID in a specific
time.
-Only for the first time a Snort ID is seen.
-Only for the first time a Snort ID/IP combo
is seen.
-Only on specific categories.
-Only on specific priorities (or any other option
you want).
-You can ignore specific IPs/Snort IDS.
-You can specify maximum number of alerts per hour,
and if this number is reached, it will send all the
alerts in just one e-mail.
-You can ignore automatically rules that alert too
often.

Oh, ossec also analyzes a lot of other log formats,
being easy to integrate with other applications.

*Don't take my word for it, because I'm an ossec
developer, but you should give it a try. Installation
is pretty easy too.

Last version:
http://www.ossec.net/files/ossec-hids-0.8-3.tar.gz

Website:
http://www.ossec.net
"

Thanks and sorry for the duplicated e-mail.

--
Daniel B. Cid
dcid @ ( at ) ossec.net

--- Joel Esler <joel.esler () sourcefire com> escreveu:

Snort does not send emails by itself, you need to
look into a 3rd party plugin such as Swatch, BASE,
or something similar.

On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 08:21:53PM +0800, Oliver A.