Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort inline setup issues (SOLUTION)

From: The Adept <adept () stephans org>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 15:27:34 -0500

The Adept wrote:
I am setting up a snort IPS on a Gentoo 2.6 box and I've run into a wall
getting Snort to pass the packets out of the iptables queue.

For testing I have the snort box which sits on a 10.x.x.x address, it
has a dual ethernet card to use for the inline bridge.  I have two
different boxes connected to the dual ethernet card, one with
192.168.100.1 as its address and one with 192.168.100.2.  The bridge
(br0) works perfectly with -P FORWARD ACCEPT set and no snort.  When I
change policy to DROP packets are correctly dropped (all protocols).
When I enable snort, it sees the packets and ICMP works (pings) but tcp
does not.  (log attached below)

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.  Everything appears to be set up
correctly but no tcp sessions are being properly set up.  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers,

 Dan

<SNIP>

After two days of hammering on this I recompiled with optimizations
turned off, this solved everything.  Responding back to here to let
people know how to resolve since I received no responses off list.

Regards,

  Dan